Runspiration

Monday, November 28, 2011

Spin. Swim. Run.

Monday. Oh, Monday. It always comes in the worst way after a break. I got up this morning to go to spin and felt like I had been hit by a truck. Usually the thought of rocking it out on a spin bike is enough to get me out of bed. Today it was the thought that I can have no more than 5 absences or I won't pass my pass/fail fitness class. Of course, I felt great when I got there. I don't know what I am going to do for the almost month long Christmas break...I might actually have to buy a gym pass. Yikes. But then, I signed up for two sections of spin next semester. Hmm....

Anyway, Mondays, Wednesdays are spin and swim.  We did butterfly drills in swim today. It totally killed me, but butterfly also makes me feel super strong, so I won't complain. After swim I went to the last session of  our Negotiations class.  I can't believe how close the end of the semester is! We gave out awards today and I won "Most Persistent Negotiator."  I think that is a good thing.  Our teachers also gave us cards (I think they are bribing us for good reviews, as it is the first time they have taught this class -more on that in a minute).  The cards were personalized and my teachers praised my grit and my determination to improve with each passing week.  It is interesting to hear what your teachers see in you when you just assume that you were lost in the crowd during the semester.  I really did love that class. It taught me to be more confident and to communicate more clearly, and to better understand those that I communicate with.  Grad school is funny because I feel like I have learned so much more about myself than I have about Public Administration - and it is totally worth it.

At the end of class our teacher gave each of us a bag of chocolate covered cinnamon bears (what did I say about bribery?). I got two because one of my classmates somehow doesn't think that they are the greatest treat ever to be made and gave me her bag as well. At about the same time my friend texted me to see if I wanted to run with her.  At this point I decided that chocolate covered cinnamon bears would double well as running fuel. We got home and headed out for our run.  It was an easy three miles, and I felt great.  Spin, swim, and a run?  It was a big day.  I tell you, it is really weird to be a girl and be worrying about getting in enough calories. Usually we focus so much on restricting, it is so liberating to focus on properly fueling and packing in good calories.

I ended the day at my friend's house. He had just finished putting the finishing touches on his Christmas decorations and so we put a virtual fire on the tv and sat and enjoyed the Christmas lights, decorations, and tree. I love this season. I can't believe December is almost here...then it will be the new year...and then I will be in Florida running at DisneyWorld....then I will be back here in my last semester of grad school. Whoa.  I need to stop thinking about this. I think I am going to go eat a couple of chocolate covered cinnamon bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment