Runspiration

Friday, November 18, 2011

SNOW!

Last night it snowed! Yesterday was a beautiful fall day. Midafternoon I was thinking about how happy was that we actually had a Fall season this year. Usually it goes by much too quickly. Utah is known for skipping both Autumn and Spring. As far as I am concerned that is a tragedy, as those are my two favorite holiday. But this year was different. We had a lovely Fall and it even held out all the way to practically Thanksgiving! Of course this means that the days of indoor running and the dreadmill are close upon us, but I am going to hold out until it gets to icy to run outside. Low temperatures, I can deal with. Black ice that could lead to more sprained ankles? Yeah. Not worth the risk.

Anyway, another sign of the season is that last night my church group held it's annual charity auction. Being a group of young single adults, I am always surprised at how generous these grad students and young professionals are. Over the last couple of years I can't remember them taking in any less than $1,000 for Sub for Santa families.

Another perk of these auctions is that they are put on by young single adults. We don't always have a lot to give so people get pretty creative. One pair of girls offered a "consulting date" where they will take two boys out and then let them know how they can be better dates, and hopefully have more dating success in the future. This is the example they used for how much their consulting services could help someone out:

It was priceless.  Good old Neville Longbottom.  10 points to Gryffindor! Maybe I should have seen if I could bid on the boys who won the consulting.  Seriously. If they are going to end up like this? Yes. Please. :)

 Other people offered fancy dinners, baked goods for a month of Sundays, music lessons, personal training sessions, more dates, and lucky me - I ended up with a dinner and a "flurry of compliments." That means that I get one personalized compliment everyday for a month - from a very witty man. Unique? Yes. Totally worth it? Oh, yeah.

The auction was a great way to kick off the season and to start getting into the spirit of giving. And when the snow started to fall later on in the evening, I thought that I might just be ready for a cup of cocoa, some Christmas tunes, and night by my fireplace. We are almost there. Almost there!

Are you ready for the holidays?

What is your favorite way to give during the Christmas season?

No comments:

Post a Comment