Runspiration

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Running 13.1 miles vs Driving 13.1 hours

As I drove for hours and hours and hours yesterday, I thought about how running long distances has made it easier for me to handle anything in life that takes a great deal of stamina.  And I came up with this -

 How running 13 miles and driving 13 hours are similar:

Mile/Hour 1 - I am ready to go! I have my playlist, am rocking out to my first song and I feel like I am on top of the world!

Mile/Hour 4 - I am still feeling good. Surprisingly good, actually. I am proud of myself for pacing myself well and feel like I could go for days.

Mil/Houre 6 - I need a snack. Drink more water.

Mile/Hour 7 - I have gone more than halfway! YAY! But I still have about halfway to go! BAH!

Mile/Hour 9 - I am a rockstar. I have done something amazing. This race is MINE!

Mile/Hour 10 - I hurt. My legs hurt (or in the car, I can't feel my bum anymore). Why? Why do I do this? What ever made me think I could do this?! Why am I doing this?!

Mile/Hour 11- Just keep going. Just keep going. Just keep going. Just keep going. Just keep going. Just keep going. Just keep going. Just keep going. Just keep going. Just keep going.

Mile/Hour 13 - Almost done! Don't think, just go! Surge to the finish!

Finish line! - Oh, that wasn't bad at all! When are we doing it again?

It was a little scary how similar these two experience were for me. But it was nice, because I felt like I knew what to expect. So much of running is mental. You just settle in and go, and eventually you make it to the end. But you have to pace yourself, you have to plan, and you have to be patient. This is also great advice for driving. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment