Runspiration

Thursday, November 1, 2012

NOVEMBER! I'M THANKFUL!

Wow. It's November. That means that 2013 is like, tomorrow. You know how the end of the year goes. Once November hits, it's all over. 

But I do love November. Since the rise of social media, there has been a trend this time of year to make daily posts throughout November of something that you are grateful for. It is a great opportunity to take stock of your blessings and maybe regain some healthy perspective on just how good we all have it in this life. 

Today  my December issue of Runner's World came. The cover article is one on "Real Runners." You know, those of us who aren't pretend - like those robot professional runners out there in the world. The article highlights everyday people who get out and pound the pavement. Some have been running for a year, and some have been running their entire lives. This got me thinking about my own journey.


I just ran my fourth half marathon (this year and, in fact, ever)  about 3 weeks ago. I have never been much of an athlete, and had actually convinced myself that I "just wasn't like that."  My body just didn't work like that. It wasn't good at working out, and it certainly wasn't good at running. 

Now, I haven't become an amazing runner who wins lots of races; I struggle to keep up a good routine, and I am certainly a middle-of-the-pack, if not a back-of-the-middle-of-the-pack runner. But I love it. I love knowing that my body is capable of so much more than I ever thought it was. I love the feeling that comes when you run one more mile further than you ever have before. I love the powerful lesson of just putting one foot in front of the other, even when it seems like you can't take another step. I love having a new view of myself, knowing that I can do hard things.

So, for day one of being grateful, I am grateful for running.  I am grateful for what it has taught me, and grateful that it has made both my body and my soul stronger.  


No comments:

Post a Comment